18 January 2012

Time for a tea break


I had a hankering for something sweet so thought my one creative thing for today would be a spot of baking.

I had a tin of condensed milk in the cupboard so Aunty Marie's Tan Square it is...


Not many ingredients but you have to be a little organised. I thought I was doing very well with a toddler at my feet licking various spoons, and felt very pleased when I popped it in the oven.

Of course Miss 7 weeks woke up and wanted a feed so my tan square came out looking more like dark brown square but it is still delicious!

Recipe:

Base:
200grams unsalted butter
just over 1/3 cup of white sugar
2 cups flour(sifted)
1 tsp vanilla

Topping:
25grams unsalted butter
1 tbsp golden syrup
tin of condensed milk

Set oven to bake 180 degrees.

Line a sponge roll tin with baking paper.

Gently melt the topping ingredients in small saucepan and set aside to cool.

For the base cream butter and sugar, add vanilla and flour and mix to combine.
Take 3 tablespoons of this mixture, wrap in glapwrap and put in the freezer to harden up a little.
Press the remaining base mixture into the tin. I find it easier to lay gladwrap on top and then press it in especially on a hot day - less sticky this way.

Pour the cooled (not cold) topping mixture over the base.

Retrieve the mixture from the freezer and using a sharp knife cut small lumps of it and randomly drop them onto the topping. You have to work fast otherwise your hands will melt the mixture.
You will end up with a series of little mountains on the top.


Bung it in the oven for approx 30 minutes.
Be sure to check it at 20 and 25 minutes as all oven temperatures vary.
I forgot my oven is hotter and left it the full thirty before checking.
You do want it to become a lovely tan colour though.

Let it cool, cut it up and hide it from your husband and kids!
In saying that it makes a lot and needs to be eaten in a few days otherwise it goes a bit soft.

Yummo!


5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate your feedback, it makes me feel loved!